6 Ways to Get Unstuck and Get Shit Done!
We all get stuck once in a while. It is only human.
But if you are constantly getting stuck on things that need to get done and you are hung up on how to get started, this just may be for you.
I get stuck – like, really stuck.
I sit at my desk roaming back and forth from email to Facebook and then onto my phone to check out Instagram. Before I know it, it is noon, and I have nothing done.
I do this at home too. I look at the number of rooms to clean, the carpets that I am constantly vacuuming because we have two big dogs, the drawers that need to be cleaned out, the groceries that I need to buy…and I freeze. Then, I don’t know where to start, and I get stuck! I get frustrated. Then I get mad at myself for being stuck. And then I get moving…one small step at a time.
If you have ever felt stuck in life, in business, in your relationships, or in any area…I would love to hear from you.
Tell me where you get stuck and if you are able to unstick yourself or if you are still there, waiting for an answer.
Here are a few things that have helped me, and I hope they help you too.
- Figure out if you are just stuck because you have so much to do, or if you are in a slump. Depression and anxiety are different than just feeling stuck. If you can work through this with a friend, family member, or a professional, this just may be your first step. “Dr. Seuss Quote: “When you’re in a Slump, you’re not in for much fun. Un-
slumping yourself is not easily done.”
- Make a to-do list everyday and do the most difficult thing first. In business it may be an important phone call that you are nervous about. At home, it may be cleaning out the fridge. You decide what is most difficult and start your day with that one thing – every day.
- Figure out what is important to you. What are your beliefs, your values, and your goals. Do the actions you take every day push to further toward or away from your goals. Are volunteering too much and is it making you stressed out? This may have to go. If you put pressure on yourself to go to a networking event each week, but you leave feeling drained…chuck this on to the curb.
- Quiet yourself. It is in the quiet moments that we allow ourselves to really figure out what is important to us. Are we living our truth or are we just going through the motions. Take time for yourself (if you can) every day to quiet your brain. And then really listen.
- Stop chasing the ‘next best thing’! If you have a goal, a plan, and a purpose – stick to it. There is always something more interesting and more exciting when your brain is full of ideas. Stay focused on your goal…but allow yourself time to dream and innovate. If you are an entrepreneur like me, find an accountability partner to help keep you on track. If you are a parent and you are going from task to task without completing anything, refer back to #2.
- Pay attention to the little things that bring you joy. I am always more motivated when I can find joy in what I am doing! (laundry excluded…I find no joy in that:)
I hope these helped. If you need more help getting unstuck, contact me and we can chat about what is holding you back! Don’t forget to sign up for our daily kick-in-the-butt…just kidding, it is called “YOU GOT THIS – Daily Encouragement!”